Thursday, October 19, 2006

And speaking of traffic...

I figure since I started my rant yesterday about roads, I would just continue. Just not with politics. I have said my piece for now and leave it at that.
My frustrations are aimed at some of the idiot drivers that infect St. George. Since this is a going town we get a mix of almost all driving styles and it doesn't come out pretty. You have everything from Hispanics that are trying to learn or at the very best, trying to survive to the retirees that the city works so hard to bring into town.
Let me give you some of the most frustrating examples.
First a couple of months ago, I get the urge to go fishing. I take off up hwy 18 to Enterprise to fish at the reservoir above the town. It is about a 45 minute drive but it takes over 1.5 hours because some idiot feels that he can't travel over 45 MPH on a road that varies from 55 to 65 MPH. You get frustrated and I am one that I get to the point of making bad decision in desperation to get around slow drivers. Yet this idiot can't see that there is a line of over 20 plus cars behind him? It astounds me. In the Northwest, they at least have the courtesy to pull over if there are to many cars stacked up. We don't get that. Not in the slightest.
Another example in town is with all the retirees. I call them "Blue Hairs" and don't feel bad in the slightest to do that. We had one get that apparently wanted to get on I-15 southbound but did it by getting on the on ramp that is for the northbound traffic and this is in the middle of the day. People stopped at the light just couldn't believe what they were seeing and she did get on the freeway. Scary.
There are times when you see the blue hair going 15 MPH on 30 MPH roads then you have teenagers that fly with reckless abandon. Not a good combination to have.
Anyway now I have to go shopping. Pray for me.

2 comments:

ShaBANG said...

You know I used to think it was Utah drivers. But not anymore. I dont know what to think. I've noticed that in Utah, if you're at a 2 way stop, wanting to turn, right and they're on the other side wanting to go straight... they take turn, the straight person doesn't always get the legal right away. It's confusing to me each time. *sigh* When i asked my office at work only 2 of us knew that law... and we were born out East. So i figure in Utah, with sooo many people from different states and countries because of the MTC and the BYU/LDS aspect of things.... EVERYONE is confused. My best friends when he was a cop one of his sargent had to do traffic school. At the begining of each class he'd ask..."How many people here are Native Utahns?" He said very few people raised their hands (maybe 3 0r 4 out of a class of 25) And then he'd say to the class...." you have no reason to blame Utah drivers.... they are the minority in here."
Something to think about, eh?

Katz said...

yeah. i must say... i don't miss saint george. not a bit. vegas drivers aren't all that terrific either.