Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Please excuse me while I get politcal.

OK. This is a rarity. I don't usually post something about politics. I don't feel that it makes much difference but today I have to rant. Now you ask, "What has got you wound up?" "It is the federal government?" Nope. I believe that the whole bunch ought to be flushed out for being more beholden to big business and political special interest rather that the people in their districts. It is the state government?" Nope. They are just a smaller version of the feds and still bug me. "Well then, what has you so bugged?" Let me tell you.
It is the city government here in St. George and the decisions on the roadways. They have been trying to redo the boulevard here and finally got the state and feds to pony up a lot of funds. I honestly don't know how much but they spent a pretty penny. Did they increase traffic and help ease the flow? Nope. That would have made sense. They did make it pretty looking with quaint traffic lights. We should all feel a little bit of pride there. Heaven forbid they actually do something to help the flow of the traffic. Granted we are a small town in some eyes but we are growing at an believable pace and any relief would help. Instead we have nice lights.
They still haven't completed the project but went ahead with a ceremony marking the ending of the project. That makes sense to me.
On top of that, they take another major route, shut it down to two lanes to repave the road. It wasn't a road that had many chuck holes if any at all. Why would I complain about that? Well here will be my prediction. Within two to three weeks of repaving the road. It will be shut down again to put in a drain that will require that they repave the road. If the city has so much money to burn. They can certainly float some my way.
I realize that we need to work on the road in this city and county. As I said before, the rate of growth is just amazing but the city SHOULD be working on belt routes and major road to help the flow of traffic. We just can't keep up with that now but no one seems to really care about that.
Anyway...that is my rant for now.

3 comments:

ShaBANG said...

The roads in st Geo still arent done? they were working on the roads when i last went thru there 3 years ago on the way to Vegas. Why don't they fire U-dot, and hire someone to just come in and git er done?

I hate political boondoggle. HATE IT!

Unknown said...

You mean actually get something done. NEVER!!! They need to be behind schedule and underfunded. At least that is the story they are sticking to.

Jesse Harris said...

All politics is local, isn't it? Take it from a politico, transportation is probably the number one hot-button issue in the state right now. Especially since it's being done so poorly all over.