Thursday, October 05, 2006

The Dash

"The Dash"

"The Dash between the dates, the gift we've been given
That little line that takes us from the cradle to heaven
You're born and then you die
Life goes by so fast and it's all riding on the Dash."

I borrow these lyrics from my friend. It is a song that I have dwelt on. Let me tell why I hold these lyrics so dear.
Last winter we went up to an old ghost town called Grafton. We went through the town and looked at the old buildings then we to the cemetery. They are just names and dates now. Some aren't even that. They are just mounds of dirt. I hope that somewhere their stories are written and that their families are able to read them and be able to celebrate the lives of those souls and to learn more about their lives and how they survived. I am thankful we have this time to learn and to make the time time more meaningful. I know I have a lot to improve on but I am happy that I have the time to improve. To have the knowledge that we will continue on after that final date after the dash is a blessing at we all should think about.

2 comments:

ShaBANG said...

This reminds me of that Poem called "How Did You Live Your Dash"

The birth is the begining, The Death is the end of earthly chapter. It's the dash in between that determines how you spend the chapters of eternity.

This is a beautiful reminder of how what you do today can effect how you will live forever.

AND...... I love trudging around old ghosttowns, too. Are there lots of them in Southern Utah?

Unknown said...

Yes there are a bunch. My favorite is over the border in Arizona. My heart broke when some idiots decided to rob the school house of some stuff and ended burning it down. There was so much history, pictures, letters and other paraphenalia that went up in flames. I have heard they rebuilt it but I haven't been there since.